Amber Joiner-Hill, The Owner
Over the past six years, I have worked with non-profits, universities, Board of Directors, and government entities. I’ve gained experience in leading the creation of strategic plans, writing and reviewing grants, conducting program evaluations, providing education on the topics of culture, diversity, and inclusion, and writing technical reports. Some of my previous work includes a focus on homelessness, diversity in the workplace, and cultural awareness in service provision.
As a macro-level social worker, I want to make an impact on a systemic-level. The field has a wealth of talented individuals working directly with clients and we need to ensure that social work values and principles are also being implemented on a larger scale. I look forward to offering your organization strategic consulting through a social work lens.
- Research on diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts within professional membership organizations
- Network for Social Work Management Policy Fellow; analysis of the financial consequences of payday lending companies
- Lead content developer for online curriculum about culture in service provision
- Session presenter at 2019 TCOM Annual Conference: “Culture and Human Services: Weaving the Threads of Culture Through Service Provision”
- Session presenter at 2015 Virginia Governor’s Housing Conference: “Collaboration and Creative Strategies for Rural Homelessness”
- Course completions include:
- Becoming an Anti-Racist Social Worker
- Human Centered Design 101
- Group Facilitation Skills: Helping Groups Reach Agreement
- MS Social Work, University of Texas; BA Psychology, University of Michigan
- Full resume available here
Magnolia Detroit Consulting, The Business
There are countless for- and non-profit organizations with great ideas and hardworking staff, but they lack the time or know-how to put it all together and meet their goals. Based in Chicago, MDC fills that gap by providing resources to organizations and companies that want to increase their ability to operate effectively and efficiently. With MDC, you will experience reliability, clear communication, and quality products.
What does the name mean?
I am so proud to call Detroit my hometown, but know that my loved city comes with its negative perceptions. One of my fondest moments in the city was visiting a friend’s house and appreciating the fully bloomed magnolia tree in his backyard. The bright flowers, sun-kissed green grass, and light breeze in the air represent the Detroit that I grew up in. A true beauty surrounded by concrete and good people.